Coney Island used to be one of the most popular resorts in New York, whose popularity increased with every step of the infrastructural development that helped connecting the area to the rest of New York. The resort went through plenty of changing in its history, and ever since it started existing in the 1830s its attractions appeared until they disappeared and then they appeared again. Here one can read more about the various amusement attractions that Coney Island has and still hosts.
The rides and most of the amusements are owned nowadays by different companies and they do operate independently one from another. Out of all these rides, three are protected as designated New York City landmarks and are listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The Wonder Wheel is one of these three. It was built in 1918 and opened two years later. The Wonder Wheel features stationary cars and rocking cars that slide along on a track. Its capacity of of 144 riders and it stands 46 m tall. At night is a truly exceptional piece of work as its steel frame is illuminated and outlined by neon tubes. The wheel weighs over 2,000 tones.
The Cyclone roller coaster is another landmark attraction. The Cyclone was built later on, in 1927 and it is one of the oldest roller coasters made of wood and which still functions in America. This attraction includes a 26 m drop at 60 degrees. Nowadays it is owned by the City and operated by Astroland. The Life Savers parachute Jump, today called simply the Parachute Jump is one of the first rides of its kind, it was built in 1939 and one can drop using guy-wired parachutes from 58 m in the air. The attraction was however closed in 1968, but it remained one of the landmarks of the island although it was completely dismantled, cleaned, painted and then restored between 2002 and 2004.